Re: "stuck" meta key problem / NX-client / Mac / PC / Linux

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: "stuck" meta key problem / NX-client / Mac / PC / Linux
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:55 -0000

David Rogoff wrote:
Hi all.

I've got a strange one thats messing me up and I'm not sure where to look.
<snip>

When I start a session/virtual desktop from home everything is fine. However, when I disconnect and then reconnect to the session from work, all my emacs windows think the meta key is being held down. For example, when I hit the up arrow, I get the message "M-up is undefined". It makes emacs unusable, requiring me to kill the editor and start again, which sucks because I usually have a dozen buffers going.

<snip>
Any ideas?  Is there some way to un-stick meta?

Thanks much!

David

David,
Did you use Meta-TAB to leave the VNC?
In this situation, I've seen VNC programs
send the meta keydown event to all the apps running
inside it, but not the meta keyup event.
Try tapping the meta key after you restore the connection.

Running xkeycaps inside the VNC will show which key X thinks is pressed.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.