Re: another question about controlling the d..n beep!

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: another question about controlling the d..n beep!
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:44:01 -0000

aspirinjunky wrote:
hi,

<snip!>
Is there a way to fine tune the conditions that cause emacs to beep?
I'd like to kill the sounds for trivial errors (like during searching
and deleting) without actually disabling the bell (with visible-bell),
because there are certain times when I'd like the bell to actually
ring (for instance, when my alarm clock goes off.)

<snip!>
thanks in advance,

d...

D,
As an off-the-wall suggestion, you could try putting a defadvice on (beep)
[ or (ding) ].

The defadvice would call (split-string (with-output-to-string (backtrace))
'"\012")
This gives a list of strings, each element of which is a function in the
caller backtrace that caused the beep. With a little scripting,
it should be possible to determine whether you want a enable visual
or audible bell for this invocation.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.