Re: Please excuse this XEmacs user's desperation: smtpmail.el over SSL

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Please excuse this XEmacs user's desperation: smtpmail.el over SSL
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:44:04 -0000

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:46:36 -0700 (PDT) edburns <edburns@gmail.com> wrote:

TZ> Can you connect to the server with gnutls-cli from the command line?

e> I tried this right away, in fact.  I'm not sure what to expect.  I
e> certainly did not get the SMTP banner, which I see when using
e> Thunderbird NSPR logging to be:

e> 220 default ESMTP Oracle Beehive Gateway; .....

e> I just see that it hangs.

e> Should I see the SMTP banner?

If you can't use gnutls-cli from the command line, it probably won't
work from smtpmail.el or anywhere else.

If it hangs, you're probably not connecting.  You should see the 220
message at least.  So Thunderbird is doing something different.  Check
the *exact* protocol it uses and the port.

Ted