RE: Tracing the cause of a delay in find-file()

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tracing the cause of a delay in find-file()
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:06:57 -0700

Hi Per,

> Which hooks are triggered (run before or after) by find-file other
> than find-file-hook?

C-u M-x apropos-variable
Then look for `file'.

Or, in Icicles, `C-h v hook S-SPC file'.

I see these:

find-file-hook
find-file-hooks
find-file-not-found-hooks
local-write-file-hooks
makefile-mode-hook
tramp-handle-file-local-copy-hook
write-file-hooks

Of course, there are other hooks that deal with files - the various `save'
hooks, for instance. Again, `apropos-variable' or Icicles is your friend.

> I have added a few features and suddenly opening a file has become
> annoyingly slow (delays and couple of seconds for large files) and I
> am seeking its cause. I have already verified that it isn't related to
> font-lock-mode.

As always, binary search is your friend for this. Cut your .emacs in half by
commenting or narrowing, then by quarters, eighths, etc. You will find the
culprit in no time.