Re: Does gnu emacs have the equivalent of Xemacs mouse-track-insert

From: asac
Subject: Re: Does gnu emacs have the equivalent of Xemacs mouse-track-insert
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:12 -0000

On Mar 12, 11:31 am, José A. Romero L. <escherdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 Mar, 11:10, asac <asafi...@gmail.com> wrote:> Hi,
> (...)
> > step1: place the cursor when you want to paste/yank the text
> > step2: ctrl-double click on left button on the text you want to copy/
> > paste and you will get it where you initially placed the cursor.
>
> (...)
>
> This can be achieved in GNU Emacs using the secondary selection:
> step0: do (setq mouse-yank-at-point t),
> step1: place the cursor where you want to yank the test,
> step2: M-leftclick on the beginning of the text want to copy, then
>        M-rightclick on the end *OR* M-drag over that area,
> step3: M-centerclick to paste.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> José A. Romero L.
> escherdragon at gmail
> "We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
> (Quarry worker's creed)

Jose, thanks for the reply ... but,

1. the  (setq mouse-yank-at-point t) effect remains permanent for the
buffer and then I can no more paste with middle-button at a pointed
location. This means I need to left click first to have the cursor
where I want to paste the text, then middle click.

2. On my linux host, somehow (keyboard shortcut settings?), so the M-
leftclick selects the window that I am working on, so when sliding,
the window is getting moved instead of selcting the text on which I
slide the mouse.

3. So I tested with ESC-leftclick and this partially works when emacs
is invoked with -nw, but it does not work in the window based.

So even if I solve the shortcut issue, the first setq required in your
procedure is changing the way copy/paste is done in the buffer, so it
is not a procedure I can follow ... but, Thanks a lot for your answer,
I now know I would probably need to look at the way secondary
selections work.

Regards, Alex.