Lost functionality in buffer item in menu bar from 22 to 23...

From: Drew Ames
Subject: Lost functionality in buffer item in menu bar from 22 to 23...
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:22 -0000

Hello all,

I've been using Emacs  22.3.1 on Slackware64_13 for several months.
I've been using Emacs since version 21.4 in 2005.

I decided recently to try Emacs 23.1. I compiled and installed it
correctly, but now there's a problem -- especially in text mode (e.g.
emacs -nw).

With Emacs 22, I can type "F10" and then "b" and I get the following
in a window above the minibuffer:

--------------------
screenshot----------------------------------------------------
File Edit Options Buffers Tools Minibuf Help
;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
evaluation.
;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

-uu1:---F1  *scratch*      All L5     (Lisp Interaction)----6:01PM
0.41---------
Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to
change
the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press
the
marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to
cancel.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
c==>*Completions*  *%              s==>*scratch*
b==>*Buffer List*  %
e==>emacs-windows-reference.txt    --  .../emacs-reference/
E==>emacs-reference  %  --  .../emacs-reference/
h==>~  %  --  /home/drew/          m==>*Messages*  *
n==>Next Buffer  (C-x <C-right>)   p==>Previous Buffer  (C-x <C-left>)
S==>Select Named Buffer...  (C-x b)
l==>List All Buffers  (C-x C-b)
-uu1:%*-F1  *Completions*   All L1     (Completion List)----6:01PM
0.41---------
Select Buffer (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): c==>*Completions*  *%
--------------------
screenshot----------------------------------------------------

With that, I simply select the first letter of the buffer I want and
Emacs switches to it and shows only the selected buffer.

With Emacs 23, if I hit F10 and b I get this:

--------------------

-UU1:----F1  *scratch*      All L5     (Lisp Interaction)----5:58PM
0.14--------
Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to
change
the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press
the
marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to
cancel.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
n==>Next Buffer                        p==>Previous Buffer
s==>Select Named Buffer...             l==>List All Buffers

-UU1:%*--F1  *Completions*   All L1     (Completion List)----5:58PM
0.14--------
Select Buffer (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): n==>Next Buffer
--------------------
screenshot----------------------------------------------------

This is far less helpful. I then need to type l, which gives me the
buffer list in the window. If I select  a buffer, it switches to it,
but leaves a split window. The non-menu equivalent is:

C-x C-b
C-x o
<the letter of the buffer I want>
C-x 1

There's simply no point in using the menu with Emacs 23. I much prefer
F10 -> b -> <first letter>, like I do with Emacs 22.

So here are a couple of questions:

1) Is this a bug? This is a serious question. If it is, I'll be happy
to report it.

2) If not, how do I restore the functionality from Emacs 22's menu
bar's buffer menu to Emacs 23's?

Thank you,

Drew Ames