Re: Suddenly, grep, list-buffers etc. split the screen horizontally...

From: Tom Ritchford
Subject: Re: Suddenly, grep, list-buffers etc. split the screen horizontally... but .emacs is unchanged!
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:54 -0000

On Mar 20, 1:15 pm, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tom Ritchford wrote:
> > Suddenly, in the middle of a long emacs session (it had been up for
> > over a week) my terminal-based emacs -nw now splits horizontally for
> > every new window (grep, compilation, list-buffers, etc).  I've used
> > emacs for over 25 years and never gotten into this state.
>
> What's the size of the terminal Emacs is running in? Did you change it?
> display-buffer (the function usually responsible for splitting buffers to show
> output etc.) may split the window horizontally or vertically, depending on the
> size of the window. See the documentation for split-window-sensibly for
> details.

Thanks for the pointer to "split-window-sensibly" - very interesting.

I wish I could tell you that fixed it - but the good news is that it,
somehow, fixed itself - and I didn't even restart the emacs (running
in the terminal).

And now I can't reproduce it.  I tried restarting the character-only
emacs.  I tried running it with and without the Windowing emacs
running.  I looked at the timestamps of every file in my directory -
none of them has changed.   I tried running it in tall thin terminal
windows and short, squat ones!

As I (claimed) before, I try to be really systematic, have a local git
instance for all development as well as Apple's own Time Machine, so
I'm at a loss as to how it happened - and how it reverted.

(But I wrote this up in case someone else runs into it...)

Thanks for the tip, I now know something new...