Please excuse this XEmacs user's desperation: smtpmail.el over SSL

From: edburns
Subject: Please excuse this XEmacs user's desperation: smtpmail.el over SSL
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:37 -0000

I know this is GNU emacs, not XEmacs, but I've never had the chutzpa
to migrate.  I'm very sorry.  Please excuse me.  If anyone can help me
here, I would really be grateful.  I've spent many hours in edebug
mode and still am no closer to a solution than when I started.

Hello distinguished lisp programmers,
I have asked Mr. Simon Josefsson to help with this but have
received no reply in over a week of waiting.  I sincerely
hope you can help me.
When Oracle bought my employer, Sun Microsystems, naturally
they migrated all the users to Oracle's mail server.  The
configuration I had working no longer works.
Oracle's mail server wants AUTH LOGIN over an SSL
connection.  I have a plain vanilla XEmacs 21.4.22
installation (with mail-lib version 1.80, VM version
8.0.12-devo-585), which I'm starting with xemacs --vanilla
&.  Then, I'm evaluating a region including the following
expressions.
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
(setq starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli")
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("stbeehive.oracle.com" 465 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials
      (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "stbeehive.oracle.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "stbeehive.oracle.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 465
      smtpmail-debug-info t)
(require 'smtpmail)
FYI: gnutl-cli is on my path
bash-3.00$ gnutls-cli-debug --version
gnutls-cli (GnuTLS) 2.2.0
However we don't even get that far.  I'm finding that XEmacs
hangs within smtpmail.el at this line:
(defun smtpmail-open-stream (process-buffer host port)
  (let ((cred (smtpmail-find-credentials
         smtpmail-starttls-credentials host port)))
    (if (null (and cred (condition-case ()
          ;; XEmacs change
          (with-boundp '(starttls-use-gnutls
             starttls-gnutls-program
             starttls-program)
            (require 'starttls)
            (call-process (if starttls-use-gnutls
            starttls-gnutls-program
                starttls-program)))
        (error nil))))
  ;; The normal case.
=>  (open-network-stream "SMTP" process-buffer host port)
      (let* ((cred-key (smtpmail-cred-key cred))
       (cred-cert (smtpmail-cred-cert cred))
host is stbeehive.oracle.com
port is 465
Can anyone help me here?  I mean, open-network-stream is just opening
a simple TCP connection.  That happens before SSL is established,
right?

Can anyone please help?

Sincerely,

Ed Burns