Re: Please excuse this XEmacs user's desperation: smtpmail.el over SSL

From: edburns
Subject: Re: Please excuse this XEmacs user's desperation: smtpmail.el over SSL
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:55 -0000

EB> (defun smtpmail-open-stream (process-buffer host port)
EB>   (let ((cred (smtpmail-find-credentials
EB>          smtpmail-starttls-credentials host port)))

AP> ===>   (if (null (and cred (condition-case ()

AP> Either `cred' is unbound at this point, or there is an error
inside
AP> the condition-case.  So the questions are :

AP> a) What is the value of `cred' ?

Value: ("stbeehive.oracle.com" 465 nil nil)

In edebug, after obtaining the value of cred, I continued to press the
space bar until point reached the character in smtp.el shown here

=> (starttls-open-stream "SMTP" process-buffer host port)))))
-----------------------------------------------------------^

At that point, this appeared in the minibuffer

Result: #<network connection "SMTP" (465 . "stbeehive.oracle.com")
state: run>

The next press of the spacebar (edebug-step-mode) moved the cursor to
here:

=> (starttls-open-stream "SMTP" process-buffer host port)))))
------------------------------------------------------------^

and xemacs froze for about 30 seconds and then I see this message in
the
minibuffer.

Process not open for writing: #<network connection "SMTP" (465 .
"stbeehive.oracle.com") state: exit>

The start of the expression that I suppose was responsible for the
freeze is the (let) itself, that is the body of the smtpmail-open-
stream
(defun).

AP> b) What happens (error or not) if you remove the condition-case
AP>   from this function ?

Symbol's function definition is void: with-boundp

So I googled around and found a definition of with-boundp at
<http://membled.com/lib/xemacs-21.5-b27/lisp/bytecomp-runtime.el>.  I
copied this into smtpmail.el, made sure it was bound and re-ran the
mail
send.

Then it *did* step into the starttls-open-stream method.

Is it possible that the version of smtpmail.el included with version
1.80 of mail-lib (which I got using the package mechanism as the
latest
version) is not supported with my version of xemacs: 21.4.22.  By the
way, xemacs 21.4.22 *is* the lastest stable version?

TZ> Can you connect to the server with gnutls-cli from the command
line?

I tried this right away, in fact.  I'm not sure what to expect.  I
certainly did not get the SMTP banner, which I see when using
Thunderbird NSPR logging to be:

220 default ESMTP Oracle Beehive Gateway; .....

I just see that it hangs.

Should I see the SMTP banner?