Message/Mail Mode and UTF-8

From: Chris Yocum
Subject: Message/Mail Mode and UTF-8
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:44:34 -0000

While I have used emacs for a while as a text editor, etc.  I am now
using VM 8.1.0 in emacs to compose and send mail as well.  I noticed
that when I composed mail in either Message or Mail Mode that the MIME
attributes stated that I was sending a charset of us-ascii and I would
really like to send my mails with utf-8 set as the character set.
Does anyone know the magic incantation to get Mail/Message Mode to do
that?  I am using EMACS 23.1.1 on amd64 Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).
Thank you all very much in advance.

Chris