copy-n-paste UTF-8 characters

From: ken
Subject: copy-n-paste UTF-8 characters
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 13:13:41 -0400

When I open a webpage encoded in utf-8, copy some characters, then past
them into an emacs buffer, they turn into (basically) garbage
characters.  The buffer is suppose to handle utf-8 ... the second
character in the modeline is a "U" and I have

<!-- -*- coding: utf-8; -*- -->

at the top of the buffer... and it was there when I loaded the file.

Is there some other emacs variable which needs to be set so that
non-English characters are pasted correctly?  (I thought this was
working previously.)

Oh, yeah... if I paste the same text into Thunderbird, the text is fine,
just what it should be.

tia,
ken

--
Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>