Re: Autocompletion of Emacs Lisp Symbols in Buffer

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Autocompletion of Emacs Lisp Symbols in Buffer
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 21:41:07 +0200

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this Meta+Tab conflict with Alt+Tab used by Windows, Mac,
> Linux, is a major emacs usability problem. It forces people to make a
> choice between a “emacs world” and all others. In the past when i
> asked what other heavy emacs users do, seems they either have
> completely alterted their keyboard shortcuts on their system so that
> emacs's way prevales, or simply doesn't do anything about it, and just
> press Esc Tab for completion.

In the patched version of Emacs+EmacsW32 the Emacs Meta key can be
moved from Alt to the Windows keys. That is actually what I recommend
and use.

This of course conflicts with the normal use of the Windows keys. The
Windows keys are however possible to override with standard microsoft
api:s while overriding Alt+Tab is not possible that way.

Another reason for moving Emacs Meta from Alt to the Windows keys is
of course that the Alt key is used far more often than the Windows
keys.