Re: fundamental mode uses?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: fundamental mode uses?
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 18:18:24 -0600

Barry Margolin wrote:
In article <05ad24c7-51d0-4345-8705-126bd6956afb@u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 sable <zxcv_890@hotmail.com> wrote:

Just a curiosity: As a relative newcomer to Emacs, I'm wondering if
anyone ever actually uses Fundamental mode in the course of their
work? My impression from reading the literature is that it's kind of a
"baseline" mode that contains the functions, bindings, variables,
etc., in their default form. But I couldn't find anything in the
manual related to possible/appropriate uses of this mode. It seems
like there's a specialized mode to cover all the main programming and
markup languages, plus your basic text and word-processing modes, so
when, if ever, would you use Fundamental mode?
Thanks,
Jeffery

When you're just viewing or editing plain, unstructured text. Not programming, not word processing, just working with random "stuff".

I even keep a dedicated buffer around for that:

(with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*Fundamental*")
  (unless (eq major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
    (rename-buffer (concat "*" mode-name "*"))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA