Re: Ctrl-x Ctrl-x (exchange-point-and-mark)

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Ctrl-x Ctrl-x (exchange-point-and-mark)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 05:53:20 -0500

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

>     I see there are no customizing option matching
>     `exchange-point-and-mark' (Ctrl-x Ctrl-x)
>

> C-g doesn't suit you?
No not really... its actually quicker to strike spc bar twice (to me)

What I had hoped for was some setting so that there wouldn't be yet
more clickety clack to exchange point and mark .. I don't understand
why it defaults to selecting the region.

Maybe I'm using C-x C-x for the wrong purpose (to return to previous
location) and should be using registers.. but again, its more messing
around.  That would require.
  C-x r spc <select name> <enter>
  C-x r j  <select name <enter> to return

As opposed to C-x C-x

Maybe there are more ways to return to previous location?

[...]

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Did you actually read the documentation of `exchange-point-and-mark'?
> Unless I'm missing something, using a prefix argument should do what you

I saw that, yes but wasn't looking for a solution that involved more
key strokes.  Striking spc bar twice is bad enough but at least fairly
quick.

Something like C-1 C-x C-x might get to be routine.. but doesn't seem
so handy just at a few tests.