compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting

From: kent williams
Subject: compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:17:17 -0500

Somewhere between Emacs 22 and Emacs 23, a behavior changed:  If you
run a compile, and it's the only window (i.e. if you type C-x 1), when
I use the next-error (C-x `) command, it splits the window vertically
-- i.e. the source file is next to the compilation buffer.  It used to
split it horizontally, so that the source file is under the
compilation buffer.

I want the old behavior back.  The vertically split frame makes the
error messages hard to read due to word wrap.

Is there some option I can set or do I have to hack into the lisp code?