Re: compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:52:18 +0300

> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:17:17 -0500
>
> Somewhere between Emacs 22 and Emacs 23, a behavior changed:  If you
> run a compile, and it's the only window (i.e. if you type C-x 1), when
> I use the next-error (C-x `) command, it splits the window vertically
> -- i.e. the source file is next to the compilation buffer.  It used to
> split it horizontally, so that the source file is under the
> compilation buffer.
>
> I want the old behavior back.  The vertically split frame makes the
> error messages hard to read due to word wrap.
>
> Is there some option I can set or do I have to hack into the lisp code?

The new behavior tries to be smart, and decides how to split based on
the dimensions of the frame.  You can customize this behavior by
setting split-height-threshold and split-width-threshold.  See the
documentation of these variables and of split-window-preferred-function.

This is all in NEWS, btw.