Re: Emacs color names

From: Gary .
Subject: Re: Emacs color names
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:18:47 +0200

On 5/11/10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Gary
>> Emanuel Schmid writes:
>> > Currently I don't get decent colour names if I'm running through putty,
>> TBH I don't think it's exclusive to putty. I also get (mostly)
>> incomprehensible names when I try to use completion when customising a
>> face
> That's normal, assuming that you use a 256-color xterm.

Normal it might be. Useful it's not (at least to me).

> Why is that a problem?  If you need to know how each color looks like,
> just use "M-x list-colors-display RET".

Well, yeah, I could take a few extra steps, but I just happen to think that
is what computers are good for. Moreover, the information does exist - face
definitions quite often use (somewhat) meaningful names. I see no reason
why the customization of faces shouldn't use those names throughout as
"normal" behaviour.

(Sorry for possibly derailing your thread, Emanuel :-( )