Re: complete file at point in buffer - solution and questions

From: Gary .
Subject: Re: complete file at point in buffer - solution and questions
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:53:33 +0200

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Dirk80 wrote:
>> 3.) In unix the file system is case sensitive. In windows OS the file
>> system is not case sensitive. But my function is always case sensitive.
> For this problem I found the solution:
>
> (let ((completion-ignore-case (memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt
> cygwin))))
> ...)

Please see the Cygwin FAQ:
"4.30. Is Cygwin case-sensitive??  Several Unix programs expect
to be able to use to filenames spelled the same way, but with
different case. A prime example of this is perl's configuration
script, which wants Makefile and makefile. Windows can't tell the
difference between files with just different case, so the
configuration fails.

To help with this problem, Cygwin supports casesensitivity
starting with Cygwin 1.7.0. For a detailed description how to use
that feature see the Cygwin User's Guilde at
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html.";

(http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.case-sensitive)

So basically, it looks like you shouldn't assume that in Cygwin
the files ABC and abc are the same file (nor assume that they are
different files...). Even without Cygwin, the filesystem being
accessed might still support case sensitivity (some kind of
network share, perhaps, or other remote system via tramp, are two
examples that spring to mind) - the OS that emacs is running on
isn't the best guide (and don't as me what is, as I don't know :-P )