automatic byte compilation

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: automatic byte compilation
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 13:41:25 +0200

I would like to always byte compile when possible, but I would also like
to avoid doing it manually.

I also have this alias
alias emacs_compile="Emacs --batch -f batch-byte-compile *el"

Which is nice, but the best thing would be that whenever I load a file
- if there is the byte-compiled
  + if .el file is newer compile that and load it (maybe asking
  confirmation)
  + otherwise just load it

- if there isn't byte-compile and load it.

Why isn't it the default behaviour by the way?
Maybe it would take too long to load?

Are there any drawbacks in compiling?
For example now I have a problem with cedet/ecb, if I byte-compile I get
some strange errors, if I leave it as source everything works, what
could that be?

Thanks,
Andrea