Re: making change of tool-bar entry persistent

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: making change of tool-bar entry persistent
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 00:23:57 -0600

Stefan Vollmar wrote:
Hallo,

I want to re-define what happends when an exising toolbar icon is
pressed. In the Emacs documentation I found an example similar to
this:

(define-key global-map [tool-bar new-file]
  '(menu-item "New Buffer" my-new-buffer
                          :image (image :type xpm :file "new.xpm")))

> Executing this code in Emacs 23.2 this will indeed show the desired
> effect - but only for about 2 seconds: the tool-bar is then
> automatically redrawn and behaves as before. How can I modify an
> existing toolbar so that the change is persistent?

 -- Variable: tool-bar-map
     By default, the global map binds `[tool-bar]' as follows:
          (global-set-key [tool-bar]
                        '(menu-item "tool bar" ignore
                                    :filter (lambda (ignore) tool-bar-map)))
     Thus the tool bar map is derived dynamically from the value of
     variable `tool-bar-map' and you should normally adjust the default
     (global) tool bar by changing that map.  Major modes may replace
     the global bar completely by making `tool-bar-map' buffer-local
     and set to a keymap containing only the desired items.  Info mode
     provides an example.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA