Re: Why can't emacs recognize X fonts?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Why can't emacs recognize X fonts?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:46:46 +0200

Qiang Guo writes:

I'm using a emacs 23.2 I built on Mac OSX under X11. However, it can't not recognize fonts like Monaco which are available in X11. For example, I can see fonts by xlsfonts command. Is there any compiling parameter missing ?

You should configure libfontconfig (start with M-x manual-entry RET fc- list RET and check also /usr/X11/lib/X11/fontconfig/conf.d/05-osx- fonts.conf) so that this user-side font service finds the fonts. Then create the cache files with (sudo) fc-cache.

Another option is to make sure that in /Library/Fonts etc. the files fonts.dir and fonts.scale exist.

In GNU Emacs you can also check which fonts are actually available:

        M-x set-frame-font RET TAB TAB C-g

A volatile buffer *Completions* has been created containing the list of fonts. Or use this function from Miles Bader:

;;; list-fonts-display via font-config
(defun list-fonts-display (&optional matching)
"Display a list of font-families available via font-config, in a new buffer.
   If the optional argument MATCHING is non-nil, only font families
   matching that regexp are displayed; interactively, a prefix
   argument will prompt for the regexp.
   The name of each font family is displayed using that family, as
   well as in the default font (to handle the case where a font
   cannot be used to display its own name)."
     (interactive
      (list
       (and current-prefix-arg
            (read-string "Display font families matching regexp: "))))
     (let (families)
       (with-temp-buffer
         (shell-command "fc-list : family" t)
         (goto-char (point-min))
         (while (not (eobp))
           (let ((fam (buffer-substring (line-beginning-position)
                                        (line-end-position))))
             (when (or (null matching) (string-match matching fam))
               (push fam families)))
           (forward-line)))
       (setq families
             (sort families
                   (lambda (x y) (string-lessp (downcase x) (downcase y)))))
       (let ((buf (get-buffer-create "*Font Families*")))
         (with-current-buffer buf
           (erase-buffer)
           (dolist (family families)
             ;; We need to pick one of the comma-separated names to
             ;; actually use the font; choose the longest one because some
             ;; fonts have ambiguous general names as well as specific
             ;; ones.
             (let ((family-name
                    (car (sort (split-string family ",")
                               (lambda (x y) (> (length x) (length y))))))
                   (nice-family (replace-regexp-in-string "," ", " family)))
               (insert (concat (propertize nice-family
                                           'face (list :family family-name))
                               " (" nice-family ")"))
               (newline)))
           (goto-char (point-min)))
         (display-buffer buf))))

--
Greetings

  Pete

Perl—the only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.
                                - Keith Bostic