Re: eshell - editing files

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: eshell - editing files
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:15:08 +0200

Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> Richard Riley writes:
>> Gary writes:
>>
>>> This may sound like a weird question. Is there any way to configure
>>> eshell so that when I want to edit a file, e.g. by typing "emacs foo", I
>>> instead get a new buffer with the file in? It kind of popped up because
>>> if you do something with svn that requires editing something, I got
>>> ,----
> ..
>> Set your EDITOR to use emacsclient.
>
> It is, actually. Although I suspect it wasn't working correctly before
> because of my confusion between EDITOR and my aliases. Now, however,
> having set it explicitly to emacsclient:
>
> ,----
> | /home/jg/work/drivers/lib/Src $ env | grep "EDITOR"
> | EDITOR=emacsclient -t --alternate-editor=""
> |
> | /home/jg/work/drivers/lib/Src $ svn pe svn:ignore .
> | *ERROR*: Terminal type "dumb" is not powerful enough to run Emacs
> | No changes to property 'svn:ignore' on '.'
> `----

Are you running these commands from inside emacs? eshell? where?

If yes, because your EDITOR is bind to emacsclient -t, it try to open an
emacsclient inside the emacs terminal (eshell or something else) and it
fail because terminal is not powerful enough to run emacs.

If so, use as EDITOR:(make a script maybe)

emacsclient -a "" "$@"
or
emacsclient -a "emacs -Q" "$@"

Be sure also you have an emacs server running.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/