mode for highlighting/annotating log files or other docs?

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: mode for highlighting/annotating log files or other docs?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:49:19 -0700

I have to work with large log files, and often have trouble keeping
track of what's going on in different sections of the log.

I was thinking it would be great if I had a way to mark parts of the
text as different colors, so I had a visual way of keeping track of
different segments of my logs. Like, maybe just select a region and
issue a "make-blue" command or something like that.

Another idea would be to have a margin off to the left which I could
leave notes in.

Is there any mode that implements something like this?

Thanks,
Brendan