save-abbrevs 'silently

From: Matt Price
Subject: save-abbrevs 'silently
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:26:37 -0400

hi,

i'm trying to figure out have to have changes to my abbrevs file saved every time i save an active file.  the manual says this:

save-abbrevs's value is silently

Documentation:
Non-nil means save word abbrevs too when files are saved.
If `silently', don't ask the user before saving.

You can customize this variable.

but as far as i can tell abbrev_defs is only changed when i quit emacs.  Am I oding something wrong, have i misread the manual, or is there some other issue?

As always thanks to everyone for hte help,

matt