Problem with GDB/GUD (emacs BZR)

From: stefasab
Subject: Problem with GDB/GUD (emacs BZR)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:41:59 +0200

Hi all,

~/s/emacs.bzr> emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

~/s/emacs.bzr> gdb --version
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1-debian
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu".

I'm having big problems at using gdb, I tried various combinations
(using gdb --annotate=3, gdb -i=mi) but gdb is always mibehaving.

For example this is what I see in the *gud* buffer with M-x gbd -> gdb
--annotate=3:
---------------------------------------------------8<-------------------

    pre-prompt
       prompt
[...]
         post-prompt
error-begin
Undefined command: "1-inferior-tty-set".  Try "help".
pre-prompt
       prompt
---------------------------------------------------8<-------------------

If I try to use gdb -i=mi I got something of the kind:
---------------------------------------------------8<-------------------
(gdb) file hello
b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048542: file hello.c, line 5.
(gdb) r
(gdb)
---------------------------------------------------8<-------------------

No prompt is shown and the pointer in the source code buffer is not
updated as I step over/into.

Finally if I don't specify the gdb flags I got something of the kind:

---------------------------------------------------8<-------------------
Current directory is /home/stefano/src/Sandbox/C/
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1-debian
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /home/stefano/src/Sandbox/C/hello...done.
(gdb) Undefined command: "1-inferior-tty-set".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "2-gdb-set".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "3-gdb-set".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "4-file-list-exec-source-files".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "5-file-list-exec-source-file".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "6-gdb-show".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "7-stack-info-frame".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "8-thread-info".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "9-break-list".  Try "help".

(gdb) Undefined command: "-interpreter-exec".  Try "help".
help
(gdb) Undefined command: "-interpreter-exec".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "-interpreter-exec".  Try "help".
help
(gdb) Undefined command: "-interpreter-exec".  Try "help".

So I'm badly stucked here, up to the point that I cannot to debug code
from emacs.

Can you give some guidance, or at least provide some hint regarding
how should I debug this problem? Up to now I didn't find anything
useful by googling, help is much appreciated.

Regards.