Re: Emacs default font

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Re: Emacs default font
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:11:07 -0400

From: bhargava <bhargava470@gmail.com>

Hi all,
I would like to know what is the name of the default font in emacs. I
donot like the default font that comes with the ubuntu package. I used
emacs that I compiled from the source. For some reasons now I'm stuck up
with the emacs installed from the ubuntu repo. I liked the default font
that came with it. So I never cared about the font.  I read some where
about cse-huji-default-font but could not find this using the M-x
command. (describe-variable).

The font I'm talking about is some what similar to the font in this web
page http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/ .

So please let me know what the default font of emacs is how to set it.

X11 resources are a common way to specify fonts.

To give an example, I have
  $ egrep ^emacs.font ~/.Xresources
  emacs.font: -unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1

Which is reasonably close to the font shown in http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/.

There are two things to keep in mind when experimenting with
Xresources.

 - If you edit a resource, you have to load it into the current X11
   session.  This can done with
xrdb < ~/.Xresources

   (You'll probably want to look at the xrdb and appres manual pages)

 - X11 resources are loaded at application startup.  You'll need to
   restart emacs after making changes.

Steve