Re: Better syntax highlighting

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: Better syntax highlighting
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:58:41 +0200

Giuseppe Fuggiano <giuseppe.fuggiano@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm learning Emacs for programming tasks and I think it's very powerful.
>
> But, the first thing I saw migrating from Vim is that Emacs handles
> syntax highlighting differently, often messing up if a given source
> contains multiple languages (like a PHP file).  I tried a plugin named
> nxhtml, but it seems heavy and makes Emacs' startup quite slow.  I
> don't want to start an editor war here, just point out that Emacs
> seems so powerful, but doesn't have a smart syntax highlighting
> available out of the box.
>
> I'm sure there's a solution to this. That's why I'm posting.
>
> Regards

Sure but actually multi-mode syntax highlighting is not an easy thing.
Nxhtml does it pretty well and if you compile it it's pretty fast.

Also consider that I think you can load it only when needed (autoload).

Emacs is probably the editor that can highlights more programming
languages very well (there's really everything).

Emacsers by the way never close emacs (unless they reboot the machine)
so the boot time is not so important after all...