A way to make Emacs completely disregard a key

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: A way to make Emacs completely disregard a key
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:49:20 +0200

I have undefined <f2> so that it is unbound. But still I get "<f2> is
undefined" in the echo area and a beep, which I don't want. I know I
can just bind this to a no-op command instead, but is there a smart
way to make Emacs completely disregard any hit of the <f2> key? So
e.g. C-x <f2> C-s would be interpreted as C-x C-s, since <f2> is not
even snapped up by Emacs.

Thanks,
Deniz Dogan