Re: odt file instant open

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: odt file instant open
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:30:32 +0200

Am 26.07.2010 18:29, schrieb Olwe Melwasul:
I'm trying to grok the open document format, so I took the first wild
and crazy step of simply trying to open it in Emacs (23.2.1) -- and it
opened up to a "Zip-Archive Narrow" view of all the files contained
therein Poking around on the Internet, I found that Emacs
automatically unpacks a .odt file, which is nothing more than a zip
file. My question is this: How is Emacs doing this?

by calling a shell-command resp. to the ending found.
Exists a list with endings --.zip, .tgz, .gz etc.-- and programs to run for.
Have a look at dired-do-compress for the details.

 What code is
running (what .el is invoked)

probably dired-find-file

HTH

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

 to make this happen? Also, where might
documentation be on how to control this zip/unzip functionality with
elisp. I don't want to do a system call, i.e., reinvent the wheel.