Re: A "smaller" dired

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: A "smaller" dired
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:20:40 +0200

> I think this is what you're looking for:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredDetails
>
> I am using MS Windows.  80% of the time my Dired buffers show only the file
> names.  When I want to see the dates etc.  I just hit a (toggle) key: `)'.
>
> This is especially important to me because I use a separate frame for each
> buffer (typically) and the frame is shrink-wrapped to fit the buffer.  With
> dired-details the frame is narrow and doesn't waste real estate for stuff I'm
> not currently interested in.  When I hit `)' to show the whole buffer, the
> frame
> is auto-resized accordingly.
>
> Even if you want to see the details 99% of the time this feature is useful.
> Whatever state you're in (show details or not) is kept as the default for new
> Dired buffers etc.  Other than that effect on new buffers, the toggle affects
> only the current Dired buffer, so different ones can show details or not.
>
> [FWIW - This feature was OK'd for addition to vanilla Emacs a few years ago,
> but
> no one has bothered to add it.  The author of dired-details.el and myself
> tried
> several times to get past the inertia, but to no avail so far.]

Thanks a lot that what I wanted!
By the way, interesting the auto-resizing of windows, how do you do it
more or less?
But can I ask why you want a different frame for every buffer?
Were you not satisfied by windows management in only one buffer?

Maybe the window manager is smarter? (mm on windows it would be strange)

Thanks