Re: inherit the path environment from .bash_profile (Mac OS 10.5)

From: Jim Crossley
Subject: Re: inherit the path environment from .bash_profile (Mac OS 10.5)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:00:13 -0400

Hi Z,

Z <zell08v@orange.fr> writes:

> Is there a way to inherit the path environments of .bash_profile, when
> we lance emacs directly from the dock of Macs?

I looked long and hard for a good way of doing this, so that both GUI
and CLI apps had the same environment (path+vars), no matter how they
were started, e.g. spotlight, dock, bash, etc.

I'm sorry to report there is NO GOOD WAY to do it on a Mac.  Here's what
I ultimately ended up adding to my Emacs config:

;; Setup PATH
(setenv "PATH" (shell-command-to-string "source ~/.bashrc; echo -n $PATH"))
;; Update exec-path with the contents of $PATH
(loop for path in (split-string (getenv "PATH") ":") do
      (add-to-list 'exec-path path))

The above answers your question specifically about PATH.  I'll add this
bit about vars, too, since you'll eventually want it.  :)

;; Grab other environment variables
(loop for var in (split-string (shell-command-to-string "source ~/.bashrc;
env")) do
      (let* ((pair (split-string var "="))
             (key (car pair))
             (value (cadr pair)))
        (unless (getenv key)
          (setenv key value))))

I symlink my ~/.bashrc to ~/.bash_profile, btw.

Good luck,
Jim