column width in emacs

From: Neil Hepburn
Subject: column width in emacs
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:17:13 -0600

Hi

I am trying to set up an environment similar to WriteRoom. I have the
full-screen stuff settled, however I am trying to figure out how to shift the
text over so that it runs more or less down the center of the screen. I have
tried to set the left margin but only had minimal success since that simply had
the effect of indenting the text and so when it was opened in another editor,
each line had about 60 spaces before the text started.

Is what I want to do possible in Emacs? If so, can someone point me in the
general direction?  (I'm fairly new to Emacs but I am starting to get the hang
of setting stuff in my .emacs file).

Cheers,
Neil