Re: alphabets resp. locales

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: alphabets resp. locales
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:52:44 +0200

Am 11.08.2010 um 15:48 schrieb Andreas Röhler:

I'm sure Emacs has already an instance of it, as [[:alpha:]] is working.

As I mentioned: this test or set has nothing to do with an "alphabet" of a natural, spoken and/or written, language. The alphabetic characters are no digits and not graphic and neither control characters and can be converted to either lowers or uppers, i.e., an upper and a lower case exist. In other words: they are word components. Words don't contain digits, $, &, etc. Dotless i and j, German ß, as just a few modern examples from the Latin based scripts, are a bit problematic (only one case). All alphabetic characters delimit the word from inside the word, non-alphabetic characters embed the words into a sentence or part of a sentence (in case the speaker suddenly dies or is interrupted).

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Es geht nix über eine elektrische Klobürste!