Re: Simple copy & paste problem

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: Simple copy & paste problem
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:44:01 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> You can't do that if emacs and firefox are on differents desktops.
> But you can use mouse2 (don't know for OSX).
> You can use that also:
>
> ,----
> | (defun yank-from-clipboard ()
> |   (interactive)
> |   (let ((primary (x-selection 'PRIMARY)))
> |     (when primary (insert primary))))
> | (global-set-key (kbd "C-c v") 'yank-from-clipboard)
> `----

That would be good but then I should use two different key bindings for
pasting, which is a bit annoying.
I also found this variable (by the way, how to you write with that nice
style?
This "cut here" is a bit too much...
x-select-enable-clipboard is a variable defined in `C source code'.
It is void as a variable.

Documentation:
Non-nil means cutting and pasting uses the clipboard.
This is in addition to, but in preference to, the primary selection.

Would not be possible to avoid overwriting the clipboard entry with the
last entry killed?

Or is there a way to understand from emacs if something is copied on the
on the operating system clipboard?