Changing $PATH in eshell, in a bash-like behaviour

From: Gabriele Lanaro
Subject: Changing $PATH in eshell, in a bash-like behaviour
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:22:51 +0000

I'm trying to add an additional directory to PATH, in order to use python virtual environments (virtualenv).

A virtual environment is a directory that contains different version of various programs/script in its bin directory.

--- virtualenv hello ---
hello/
  - hello/bin
           python
           pip
           easy_install
   - hello/lib/
        ---

The problem here is tat if I add the directory /abs/path/to/hello/bin as the first element of PATH (using getenv/setenv), eshell modifies correctly the variable but doesn't prefer the commands defined in hello/bin, for example:

eshell> which python
/usr/bin/python
eshell> # path modification
eshell> echo $PATH # or getenv PATH
/abs/path/to/hello/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:...
eshell> which python
/usr/bin/python

If i launch the command in another way, using for example shell-command..

M-! which python
/abs/path/to/hello/bin/python

So it works in the correct way.

How to make eshell behaving the same way, are there any workaround I can do?