Re: More emacs instances

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:19:00 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> But then I discovered offlineimap. Now I run offlineimap every ten
> minutes or so which stores imap email from gmail into local maildirs and
> I connect gnus directly to them. Fast and efficient. And easily
> "cloneable" on my laptops.

I never used Imap; I grew up and my mail was on my machine, and there
only, and I never found a reason to change this, so smtp/pop3 it is for me.

[Richard Riley in Message-ID: <i43d0f$ia8$1@dough.gmane.org>]
>so, for example, in my (tmux hosted) "emacs -nw" that I keep my email
>and erc open in, there is no emacs server started thus keeping it
>separate from my normal "work" emacs..
[and a link to an article with this]
,----[ http://edward.oconnor.cx/2010/08/standalone-gnus ]
| Gnus is an awesome mail and news reader, but it can be a bit of a performance
| bear, especially when using IMAP. Since Emacs is single-threaded, IMAP
| operations that take too long can disconnect you from IRC, Jabber, or any
number
| of other network services you also use from Emacs.
`----

But if offlineimap is 'Fast and efficient', you do not run special emacs
instance for mail and irc because of speed issues, right?
Is it just a habbit?

Memnon