Re: More emacs instances

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:20:54 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> I dont know how much you can trust it. I trust it implicitly as I have
>> been using it without issue for a while.
>
> I'm also trying now, offlineimap is not so fast as I thought (well
> enough of course) but it's pretty cool.
> I should get used to gnus as mail program, and maybe I would better
> separate news reading from normal email.

The point of using gnus is bring them closer together.  I like it all
being in one UI. And the emacs one at that.

Use gnus-posting-styles for your different nicks/email addresses
relevant to the groups you are reading.

Use gnus topics for logical separation.

Use msmtp for posting emails from different smtp servers.

> There are many other packages (mew wanderlust for example), any advice?
> I also need to integrate it with the mac address book for example, (use
> contacts command already).

>> I open the bitlbee server as I do freenode and they all live happily in
>> the same frame. erc then handles chats with gtalk etc (via bitlbee) as
>> it does all standard #irc channels.
>
> Yes I also noticed it can do many things and already configured them.
> The thing is that I'm used to see very easily who's online and from
> how simply by colors, this interface is a much more poor...
>
> Maybe it's time to use my growl integration function ;)

Bitlbee tells you whose online for gtalk anyway : blist. Admittedly
automagically. But I'm sure there are other panel type apps which can do
that.