Re: git diff output - terminal is not fully functional

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: git diff output - terminal is not fully functional
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:59:17 +0200

Am 17.08.2010 13:55, schrieb Andrea Crotti:
Andreas Röhler<andreas.roehler@online.de>  writes:

Hi,

with `git diff' from an shell inside Emacs,
output stops at every diff-line,
reporting its line.

Also I get a

"WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

Assume it's a common known issue...

BTW from bazaar diff runs smoothly...

What to do?

Thanks

Andreas

Well you probably don't want to use git diff in a shell, there are many
external packages that does it much better (for example magit).

Hi,

thanks and sorry,
just want to use it in a shell:

while exploring something new or not so common, I'll not run into bugs from emacs-scripts, have all feature indendent from implementation etc.

Also I use shell-scripts, which might be started from inside Emacs more conveniently again.

I'll have look at magit anyway, thanks for the tip.

The "problem" is that git diff calls a pager (less probably) and the
shell in emacs is not a full terminal emulator.

There is also M-x term which is closer, but it doesn't make so much
sense in my opinion..

Wonder why bazaar is able to cope with this. There should be a way to provide this for git too.

Andreas