Re: Tramp with sshfs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp with sshfs
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:33:49 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering it it would be possible to use tramp even if I'm
> actually using sshfs.
>
> Unfortunately tramp over ssh is a bit too slow (I also have the
> controlmaster activated, anything else I can do?), and sshfs is normally
> much nicer.

For large files, scp might be faster. It depends.

> But when I launch a command I would like to get it executed on the
> remote machine where the files really are.
>
> How could I cheat this thing somehow?

Not with the existing Tramp packages. One ould introduce a new method
"sshfs", which works similar as in tramp-gvfs.el: mount the sshfs
"filesystem" on a temporary mount point, and map silently file names
like "/sshfs:host:/path/to/file" to "/mount_point/path/to/file".

Processes on the remote host could be handled similar to the handling
for the "ssh" method.

I will add an entry to Tramp's todo list. Unfortunately, I am short in
time, if there is a volunteer ...

> Thanks,
> Andrea

Best regards, Michael.