RE: Buffers and frames

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Buffers and frames
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:12:19 -0700

> Maybe I'm peculiar, but what I would like to do is kind of "lock" some
> buffers to frames (or maybe I mean the opposite, I'm not
> sure).

Look up dedicated windows in the doc - e.g. `(elisp) Dedicated Windows'.

> That is, I would like to only be offered certain buffers when
> list-buffers is run in a certain frame. Possible?

That's something different from locking a frame/window to a particular buffer.

See option `Buffer-menu-use-frame-buffer-list'.  If that doesn't give you what
you want, you should be able to write a little Lisp code based on the code in
buff-menu.el.

> For example, I want to have gnus and only gnus in one frame, my php
> editing buffers (and only...) in another frame, and so on.
>
> Ideally I would simply like buffers opened in one frame to only be
> visible in that one frame (perhaps with a way of "forcing" all
> buffers to be visible on a case by case basis).

That's something different from the first two things you mentioned.  I don't
know a simple answer for that, but at least take a look at option
`display-buffer-reuse-frames'.  It doesn't _prevent_ display of a buffer in more
than one frame (e.g. `C-x 5 2'), but it might be sufficient for your use case.