Re: Syntax Highlighting in Ruby only handles comments and quotes

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Syntax Highlighting in Ruby only handles comments and quotes
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:08:30 +0300

On 20.08.2010 23:10, eric_powell wrote:

I'm pretty new to emacs and really enjoy the syntax highlighting in CC mode
(C++) and cperl-mode, but when I'm coding in Ruby the only things that get
colored are quotes and comments.  Is this all that it's supposed to do?  No
function highlighting (e.g. 'def') or flow control (e.g. if, for, while)?

I have ruby-mode.el in my emacs dir and I'm pretty sure it's working because
I can do M-x ruby-mode.  I've also done M-x font-lock-mode, but that just
gets the comments and quotations.

Also, I should mention that I'm using Xemacs on CygWin on Windows 7 64-bit,
not sure if that makes any difference.

This list intended for GNU Emacs, also read

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RubyMode

It’s included in Emacs 23 and is also available via ELPA. However, those copies have no guarantees of backwards-compatibility, so if you’re having trouble with it on an older Emacs version or XEmacs, you can use the copy that’s included with Ruby, which attempts to be
highly compatible.

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 included in latest Cygwin 1.7.6