Re: Emacs slow away from home

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: Emacs slow away from home
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:03:12 +1000

Ron House <rhouse@smartchat.net.au> writes:

> I have been using emacs on my laptop under linux for a long time, but I have
> just noticed that if I open emacs when I am away from home, it takes something
> like 2 minutes or more to start up.  At home it is a second or two.

DNS on your laptop is broken: Emacs is trying to resolve something, probably
the FQDN to an address, or the address to an FQDN, that takes that long to
time-out.

This would be equally true of any other service that tried the same
translation, but you don't notice because little other desktop class software
does perform that check.

At a guess.
          Daniel

--