Re: Emacs slow away from home

From: Ron House
Subject: Re: Emacs slow away from home
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:05:38 +1000

On 24/08/10 18:03, Daniel Pittman wrote:
Ron House<rhouse@smartchat.net.au>  writes:

I have been using emacs on my laptop under linux for a long time, but I have
just noticed that if I open emacs when I am away from home, it takes something
like 2 minutes or more to start up.  At home it is a second or two.

DNS on your laptop is broken: Emacs is trying to resolve something, probably
the FQDN to an address, or the address to an FQDN, that takes that long to
time-out.

Thanks Daniel, I know stuff will break when I go outside the limits of the LAN, but as I said, all I use emacs for is to edit files. My problem is, how do I turn off whatever it is trying to do (since I won't be needing the results of its doings anyway)? As it happens, I was trying to edit the files to get the network going elsewhere, and the 2 minute delay each time was really funny, in an annoying fashion.

--
Ron House
Building Peace: http://peacelegacy.org