Timeout for reading file across network

From: Ali Pang
Subject: Timeout for reading file across network
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 06:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'd like to load my .emacs from a remote location if possible. The problem
is I'm on windows, and the time-out before recognizing that the file is
unavailable is ridiculously long (minutes). Thus if the file is unavailable,
emacs blocks for a long time at startup. I've tried basically doing

(if (with-timeout (4)
      (file-exists-p remote-.emacs))
  (load remote-.emacs))

but I guess with-timeout does not do what I want. Any ideas about what I
could use instead?