Re: Someting with Emacs visual-line-mode

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Someting with Emacs visual-line-mode
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:06:14 -0700

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does not this suggest that Chinese characters should be treated
> different than English characters?

I was actually just getting hung up on the difference between a bug
report and a feature request (since it does exactly what the
documentation says it does), but I guess report-emacs-bug can be used
for either of them.

As a quick work-around, you could add this to your .emacs file:
(add-hook 'visual-line-mode-hook
          (lambda()
            (if visual-line-mode
                (setq word-wrap nil))))

That will turn off word-wrap in visual line mode without losing the
rest of the visual-line stuff.  Text will then always wrap at the end
of the window rather than at the last space.  I know the exact request
was for it to wrap at the last space or Chinese character, but I'm
making the guess that Chinese text consists mostly of Chinese
characters and this is roughly equivalent. ;-)

I still think it would be wrong to wrap a line between Chinese
characters within English text like in the following example
paragraph.*  The writer/readers of that text would see the Chinese
string as a word and expect it to be treated as one.  So the really
correct thing to do would depend on whether the *document* was
Chinese, not whether the last character on the line was Chinese.

*"The guy at the tattoo parlor told me that 彝体草 meant 'Courage, Honor,
Strength'.  It turns out it's just meaningless nonsense that I'll have
written on my chest for the rest of my life."