Re: strange error

From: Rajinder Yadav
Subject: Re: strange error
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:23:07 -0500

On 10-11-13 11:01 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca@gmail.com>  writes:
On 10-11-13 08:05 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca@gmail.com>   writes:

Is there a way to force emacs to save in utf-8 ? I was cutting and pasting
code out of emacs and getting strange errors. I then opened up another
editor, pasted in there and then copied out of 2nd editor and pasted the
code and everything was fine, strange error gone!

You can change the encoding of a buffer with 'C-x RET f', which invokes
`set-buffer-file-coding-system' - that will allow you to set the buffer to
UTF-8 or any other supported encoding.

Thanks Daniel, just a follow up, is there a way to show what encoding is being
used along the bottom status bar?

It should, by default, in the bottom left.  Usually just a one character
indicator, like the 'U' I see for this UTF-8 buffer. :)

See Info node `(emacs) Mode Line' for details on the interpretation of that.
         Daniel

hmm not seeing that? i am using a ruby on rails setup with ecb and cedet, i wonder if one of those are doing something with the mode line.

btw, didn't realize i replied back to you and not the emacs help, doh, back on the list.

thanks again!
--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav