Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS

From: Henri-Paul Indiogine
Subject: Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:49:50 -0800

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
> As time goes by, Gnus will be getting fast on IMAP. There are so
> many developers for Gnus. That's why i settled down at Gnus.

Some time back I tried many email add-ons to Gnu Emacs.  They are
simpler to use than Gnus, however I decided to use Gnus for the
following reasons:

1. it is included in Gnu Emacs.  No messing around with installations
and dependencies.

2. I can place all my configuration into .emacs.

3. It is actively developed and completely integrated in to the
development and distribution process of Gnu Emacs itself.

4. If you want, it is easy to keep updated by using git.

The largest problem is configuring it into something that does what you
want and does not look too "ugly".  That is a big headache.  You need to
look at many examples and read lots of documentation before you have
something that both "works" and "looks decent".

However, it is worth it.  It is a one time chore and then you can just
go ahead and use it with minimal further adjustments.

Best,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine