IRC server USER/PASS in ERC

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:45:41 +1300

Hello fellow Emacs addicts,

I have been using ERC for quite some time now, and I love it!  Now I
want to use an IRC bouncer.  I have set up ircproxy
<http://ircproxy.sourceforge.net/> on a VPS, but I can't connect to it
because I don't seem to be able to tell ERC the server username and
password to use.  When I try to connect to ircproxy, I get the
following error.

==> ERROR from irc.example.net: USER / PASS is incorrect.

Connection failed!  Not re-establishing connection.

*** ERC terminated: connection broken by remote peer

I don't think it matters that I'm using a bouncer, as this seems to be
a matter of authenticating to an IRC server (as opposed to NickServ).

*Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
that I only haven't found it.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland