Emacs and Flyspell

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Emacs and Flyspell
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:59:34 +0100

Dear All,
I am currently using emacs+auctes+flyspell to edit my latex documents and I am pretty happy with it.
In particular, I like flyspell as it highlights my mistakes in English.
However, from time to time I happen to edit documents in French or Italian and I would like flyspell not to spell check my words in English, or rather to check my spelling in the right language. I am running emacs on debian squeeze and I added the following lines to my .emacs file

   (autoload 'flyspell-babel-setup "flyspell-babel")
   (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'flyspell-babel-setup)
;;

(require 'ispell-multi)

   (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
   (setq ispell-really-aspell t)
   (setq ispell-extra-args '("--sug-mode=fast"))

and copied the files flyspell-babel.el,  ispell-multi.el to
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ , where the .el files can be found at

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Emacs/

Unfortunately, when I edit e.g. a latex Document in Italian, flyspell marks every word in red and does not understand that it should check them against an Italian dictionary.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Lorenzo