Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS

From: Henri-Paul Indiogine
Subject: Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:46:36 -0800

Hi Xavier!

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:
> Why ? No time wasted in tweaking the system -i.e. your setup -, it has
> an awesome GNU Emacs cli, bindings if you need to script something in
> python, haskell, ... Plus it is extra fast, after all it is just a
> mailstore !
>
> In the past, I spent many hours configuring gnus/wl/your MUA here/ to
> make it works like I wanted. In the end it was just a (bad) fork of the
> original and I was not reading my e-mails (my .gnus file was 23k
> lines...) ;)

I am intrigued.  I have now been using gnus for quite a while and still
I am baffled by its complexity.  I am wondering whether notmuchmail has
the following features that I have implemented in Gnus:

1. mail splitting into groups according to who sends it

2. posting styles: according to which group I am in it will place a
different signature file in my email.

3. Gnus is part of Emacs, thus nothing to install, no prerequisites and
other nastiness.  What is involved in installing notmuchmail?

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine